|DCS Filter Spectroscopy
|Ordering spectra from the database:
I see several uses for this service. Perhaps you might wish to look at the spectrum of a filter before you buy it, or compare the spectra of several competing products.
|To have your filter(s) tested:
If you want to see how your filters actually work, or are concerned about whether your filter has been damaged in some way, you can have any filter or colored sheet tested and the spectrum reported to you.
| If you just want a copy
of a typical spectrum of a certain filter, and it is in
our database of filter spectra, you can order a copy
deliverable by email for $1.00 for each spectrum
obtained. You can request a list of the
filters in the current database (I am hoping that it will
be growing as I have access to more filters).
If you have read the article on Filter Spectroscopy you will know that there are transmission differences based on an air or glass standard. I willing deliver both for those spectra in the database. For example the spectrum you see is the glass standard (mss = microscope slide standard)
|Due to spectrometer
setup costs, testing a filter costs $7.50 per filter for
the first two filters. There is a 2 filter minimum
($15.00 minimum). For more than two filters, the price is
$5.00 per filter. This (includes both air and
glass runs until the issue is resolved) plus the cost of
return shipping. If you like you can pay for the
testing, and then wait til you ship the filters and see
what they cost to ship before paying the shipping.
All shipping payments need to be rounded up to the nearest
one dollar. (If it cost you $4.79 to ship them you
need to paypal $5.00.)
|To order from Database:
1. Request a current copy of our list of database spectra. This will come as a LibreOffice calc spreadsheet or an Excel spreadsheet (your choice). Request which you would prefer. Send this to request to email@example.com
2. Choose the spectra you would like copies of. Pay $1 for each by paypal. Simply pay as many units as desired spectra to paypal ($1/unit)
3. If you have read the article on Filter Spectroscopy you will know that there are transmission differences based on an air or glass standard. Until I resolve this one way or another, I will deliver both for those spectra in the database. For example the spectrum you see is the glass standard (mss = microscope slide standard). For each spectrum ordered, you will get the text file of datapoints for the air standard and glass standard (for import into MS-Excel or LO-Calc, and the graphical version of the spectrum as shown on this page. (4 files). It is up to you at time to decide whether the glass standard or air standard is more valid for your uses.
order a filter test:
1. Notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org that you intend to send us filters. Include what size, type and how many we should expect. We will respond with which of our addresses they need to be sent to. (We spend part of our year in New Mexico, and part in Missouri). If they are sent to the wrong address, it could be months before you get them back.
2. Pay by paypal the $7.50/filter [first two] and $5.00/filter for each additional filter testing fee using the button on this page. Each unit you buy will charge you $1 so your need to calculate the total to be paid and buy that many units.
3. Once you have sent the filters, send the additional amount for shipping. It is our intention the ship them back by whatever method you used to ship them here. Alternatively take a guess in the original order for shipping and we will refund the difference or request more as necessary.
4. Send the filters.
5. Once we take the spectra we will deliver the results by email. There will be 4 files/filter. We will keep your filters until you give us an ok that the results are acceptable (of good quality; not necessarily what you thought they should be). If necessary we will rerun samples to ensure their quality. Once given the ok, or once a week passes we will send the filters back assuming the results are ok.
Note: The spectra that we take for you will be added to our database of filters unless you specifically request us not to.
|The visible/near IR
spectrum you will receive will like this one. The
visible range is from 400-700nm, the IR range available is
from 700-1000nm. It will be accompanied
by a text file that contains all the data points in the
curve. This can be imported into MS Excel or
LibreOffice Calc and the output customized using the
charting facilities available in those programs.
For the sample at the right, the text file names would be:
32 -size of 1.25" filter in mm
Lumicon - brand name
unk - unknown (country of manufacture listed on filter since the same filter can have a different country on it at different times). This might be Korea or Japan or China or Taiwan.
Deep Sky - name of filter on filter
mss - microscope slide standard, air - air standard
The graphical files:
The date of the spectrum is the date the image is produced, not the date the spectrum was taken.
|Each unit of this paypal is
$1.00. Calculate the price of your purchase, and buy
that many units using this button.